Do I have to pay child support for a child conceived by my wife during our marriage 16 years ago that was fathered by another man?

UPDATED: Aug 15, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 15, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Do I have to pay child support for a child conceived by my wife during our marriage 16 years ago that was fathered by another man?

Divorced 10 years ago. Amicable, similar incomes: she’d keep the house, we share custody. Day before divorce court, she asked if kids could stay an extra day with her, as I did not have a home yet. Sure. I not only lost the agreed-upon shared custody but also pay over $1,000 more each month. Now she wants more money. Ugly twist: my older son is my carbon-copy, the younger strongly resembles one of her friends’ husbands. DNA-test confirmed that. What do I need to do to stop paying child support? Can I sue back for child support paid, though he was conceived during marriage?

Asked on August 15, 2012 under Family Law, Connecticut


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

There seems to have been a lot going on here and I would strongly suggest that you speak with an attorney in your area on the matter as to your options financially.  How horrible for your son to find out this way that you, whom I am sure that he adores, is not his Father when you are all he has ever known his whole life.  Please get him help in coping with the issue and please, do not take out your anger on your ex on him.  He is an innocent bystander in all of this.  Abandoning him at this age will be detrimental to all of you.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption