Do I have to pay a tuition bill if I was a minor when I went to school?

UPDATED: Nov 19, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 19, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Do I have to pay a tuition bill if I was a minor when I went to school?

I had to drop my community college classes due to a family emergency, however it was past the drop date. So I am responsible for the bill that they have sent to collections. I was 17 at the time.

Asked on November 19, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, Oklahoma


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you were a minor at the time you attended community college and had to drop classes due to an emergency but owe money for the courses, you are obligated to pay the bill even though you were a minor when the classess were started.

Although contracts with minors are voidable at the option of the minor and can be rescinded, the minor still has to pay for what was actually received before the contract was rescinded. By analogy, a minor has to pay for a meal that he or she eats at a restaurant.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption