Do i have to have an attorney to go to probate court

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Do i have to have an attorney to go to probate court

My Father died and I her son need to know if we have to probate his will and when it has to be done in Texas

Asked on May 26, 2019 under Estate Planning, Texas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Most probate courts in Texas will require you to have an attorney...but to be sure of the rule in your county, call the county clerk and see whether the local judge(s) has imposed this rule.
To probate a Will, the statute of limitations is four years.  If there is only one heir named in the will (i.e. everything to your mom), then this will be a very simply process of filing the application, have the will accepted, and do a simple affidavit saying all the property has been distributed.  I have been able to finish this type of uncontested probates in under 90 days (just depending on the court's scheduling).  If you consult with a local attorney that says it's going to take a year to probate this Will, then go talk to another attorney.  
Because there is a will that leaves everything to your mom, she should probate the will to keep the chain of title clear.  If she does not probate the will in four years, then she forfeits the right to 'enforce' the will, and your dad's estate will be as though he did not have a will.  This means that to 'clear up the title', she (or another heir) will then have to file an heirship proceeding which is much more expensive than a regular uncontested probate.  She will still inherit from the estate because she is a spouse, but the estate will also have to be shared and divided among other heirs (as opposed to all to her as is set out in the original will).  Basically, more messess equal the need for more documents.
Additionally, without the probate, the title is not clear....which will hinder her ability to refinance or transfer the property later.  Right now, that may not seem like a big deal, but if your mom ever needs the funds, then it will hinder her access to a valuable resource.  

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption