do i have to give my roommate her security deposit back if she moved in without signing the contract?

UPDATED: May 16, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 16, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

do i have to give my roommate her security deposit back if she moved in without signing the contract?

She moved in without signing the contract because she wanted to move in right away and the landlord had to prepare new lease agreement and she changed her mind after living in this studio for 2 weeks

Asked on May 16, 2009 under Real Estate Law, Hawaii


GW, Member, Michigan and Hawaii Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

You haven't provided enough information for a complete answer to your question. For example:

1. Did she give you any money for rent?

2. What  was your arrangement regarding rent, term of the lease, termination of the lease, and the like, or did you even have an agreement between the two of you?

3. Are you out of pocket any money based on her short stay?

Without this information, it's difficult to say what your legal relationship is with her or whether there are other reasons why you might be able to keep some or all of the money she gave you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption