Do I have to give documentation regarding my absence due to a family emergency?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Do I have to give documentation regarding my absence due to a family emergency?

A few days ago, I had to leave my shift halfway though due to my grandmother having to go to the hospital. My manger gave me the OK to leave. Now my general manager wants a doctor’s note stating that my grandmother was there at the time. However, she does not feel comfortable doing that and I

can’t personally get one since it was not me in the hospital.

Asked on July 16, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Florida


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Yes, you do have to give documentation regarding your absence due to a family emergency, if so requested. That is unless this action violates the terms of an employment contract or union agreement or in some way constitutes a form of legally actionable discrimination (which it does not appear to). Further, failure to produce a note could result in your suspension or even termination, if employer so chooses.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption