do i have to get married to have rights even we have been together for 3 years? which state accept this legal law

UPDATED: May 26, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 26, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

do i have to get married to have rights even we have been together for 3 years? which state accept this legal law

Asked on May 26, 2009 under Family Law, Nevada


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

If you're talking about common law marriage, there is more to it than simply living together.  You have to tell people you are married, introduce yourselves as married and file a joint tax return, and be together considering yourselves married for a "significant" period of time.  There are very few states that still recognize this, and Nevada isn't one of them.

The fact that you aren't married doesn't mean you have no rights, but they are far fewer, and for the most part are based on ordinary contract law:  if promises were made to you, and you can prove them, it's possible, sometimes, to have those promises enforced.

If someone is telling you that it doesn't matter, as an excuse not to get married, he's wrong.  You should talk to a lawyer, if you need a detailed review of your rights, based on the unique facts of your own case.  One place to find a qualified attorney is our website,

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption