Do I have to disclose my health issue in detail to my employer?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Do I have to disclose my health issue in detail to my employer?

I’m not interested to inform my employer in details about my health issue therefore I would like to know if I can just state that I have a major health issue but not exactly which to disclose the exact information .

Asked on September 30, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

If you want the employer to make any accommodations for the condition (e.g. changes in rules or procedures, including potentially scheduling, to accommodate your needs in regard to the condition; or the provision of any assistive device or technology, or ergonomic furniture, etc.), you have to provide some details and information. The statement that you have a "major health issue" without more is legally irrelevant: an employer cannot--and is not expected to--accommodate an employee without knowledge of what it has to accommodate, and the abilty to see or determine the relationship between the request accommodation(s) and the medical need. If you  won't provide some detail, you may as well not tell them at all.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption