Do I have to add my Teenagers to my insurance Policy in the state of Pennslyvania?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Do I have to add my Teenagers to my insurance Policy in the state of Pennslyvania?

Hi, My teenager has his license and will drive my car once in awhile. Is it law
that I have to add him to my policy? Adding a 17-18 year old could cost me
anywhere from 5000 to 10,000. Which is crazy if he is only going to drive once
in a while. Thank you

Asked on March 20, 2018 under Insurance Law, Pennsylvania


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Yes, if your teenager has a license and access to your car (even if he in fact rarely drives), you have to add him to your policy. If you don't and he gets into an accident in your car, your insurer could refuse to cover you, leaving you unprotected by the insurance you are paying for, on the grounds that you did not disclose and pay for a driver in your household.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption