Do I have the right to sue my former employer for letting me go because of an untrue allegation made by a co-worker?

UPDATED: Aug 18, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Do I have the right to sue my former employer for letting me go because of an untrue allegation made by a co-worker?

A lady at work accused me of touching. The company investigated the matter and there was no evidence of this. Also, I asked if I could see what this lady wrote about me and I was not allowed to see what I was accused of. So HR called me in this morning and fired me for what they said was a hostile environment. The woman is a black lady and I am Hispanic; the work place is predominately of color. I reported for work everyday and did my job.

Asked on August 18, 2011 Kentucky


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

The fact is that if you were an "at will" employee your employer could fire you for any reason or no reason at all; with or without notice. Exceptions to this would be if there wasa stated company policy to the contrary or there was a union/employment agreement that prohibited such action. Also, it would be illegal if this situation is due to some form of actionable discrimination. Based of the facts that you have presented you may or may not have a discrimination claim. Your situation bears further review. 

At this point you should consult with an employment law attorney. Once you have gone over the details of your situation they can advise as the whether or not you have a case.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption