Do I have the right to see the Will and Trust my parents left behind when they died?

UPDATED: Jan 10, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Do I have the right to see the Will and Trust my parents left behind when they died?

My parents both died within the last 6 weeks. Now my oldest brother, who is the trustee, will not let any of the siblings see the ill and Trust. He says his lawyer says that we do not have to see the Will and Trust.

Asked on January 10, 2012 under Estate Planning, Kansas


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you are a beneficiary under your parents Will and trust you are entitled under the laws of your state to see the two documents. I suggest that you consult with the attorney who is representing your parents' estate to discuss the situation and to have a copy of both documents provided to you.

If there is a Will, (pour over Will to the trust), there is a chance that it will need to be probated. Assuming it is probated, the document  will be a public record where all can review it. If the attorney for your parents' estates will not provide you with copies of the requested documents, you should consult with an attorney practicing Wills and trusts concerning the situation.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption