Can I sue my former employer for not compensating me for my loss of wages, vehicle, and other property?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I sue my former employer for not compensating me for my loss of wages, vehicle, and other property?

I was working as a pizza delivery driver. I was in a hit and run, robbed, then my car was stolen – all within 45 days. The company has not responded to unemployment it will not respond to me either. I had full coverage insurance but my claim was denied because I delivered pizza. This has turned my whole life upside down.

Asked on April 26, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Iowa


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Your employer is NOT responsible for someone else attacking or robbing you, or getting into an accident with you: your employer does not insure you against loss or harm, or guaranty you will not suffer a loss or  harm from working for them, etc. They are not responsible or liable for you loss of car or other property or money; they are not responsible for your injuries, if any; they are not responsible for your lost wages, if you can't drive for them due to losing  your car; and they are not legally obligated to respond to you or unemployment (unless unemployment takes action against them in some way--you, however, can not). In short, as unfortunate as this is, your employer does not have to help you out or make you whole.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption