DoI have means for a lawsuit if evicted with no legal notice?

UPDATED: Dec 30, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 30, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

DoI have means for a lawsuit if evicted with no legal notice?

I have lived with a family member for 4 months with my 3 year old. The stipulations of my staying there were that I did the maintenance for the home, which I did. The agreement was made with the owner of the house. She moved out into her daughter’s house for health reasons and told her daughter in front of a state worker that she was not to evict me and my children. Then 2 weeks later her daughter gave me 12 hours to remove my stuff and threw my child and I out into the cold in the dead of winter. She would not even let me back into the house. It was 8 o’clock at night and she locked the doors on me.

Asked on December 30, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Maine


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

In all states in this country required notice of termination is 30 days written notice. If you were evicted out of your unit with only 12 hours notice where it was quite clear that you were a tenant in the unit, what happened was clearly improper under the laws of your state.

I recommend that you consult with a landlord tenant attorney about the situation that happened to you and what legal recourse you might be entitled to.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption