Do I have legal recourse on ownership of a car

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Do I have legal recourse on ownership of a car

I bought a car from someone I thought was a friend. The paperwork she and her co-signet generated, which I signed said that I would pay $6400. It went on to say that I would take over the payments and when the car was paid off I would receive the title. I paid it off early and ended up spending slightly less than $4000. They claim I owe them $2400 and will not turn over the title. Do I owe them money?

Asked on August 27, 2017 under Business Law, Colorado


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

If the contract says that you have to pay $6,400, then you hae to pay $6,400. The issue is, is that what the provision that you describe, "that I would pay $6,400," actually means, which depends on *precisely* what it says. Contracts are enforceable as per their exact terms or language and can require paying more than you should or otherwise have to; you are required to pay what the contract calls for, which is what you agreed to pay. Therefore, the issue is *exactly* what this contract says. If you feel that under its terms, you don't have to pay the extra $2,400 but they disagree, you can refuse to pay and sue them for the title; a judge will then review the agreement and decide whether you have already paid all that you have to, and are entitled to the title, or whether you owe them another $2,400.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption