What rights do I have against a car dealership that has not repaired my used vehicle as promised?

UPDATED: Oct 14, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What rights do I have against a car dealership that has not repaired my used vehicle as promised?

I bought a used van and 2 days later the check engine light came on, the dash board lights flickered, the locks wouldn’t work, and the rear wiper went on by it’s self. They have taken the van at least 4 times to supposedly fix it and it’s still not fixed. They promised me they would take care of it. They also told me they were going to replace the driver’s door because they think that’s where the problem is. They haven’t done any thing they said they would do. It’s been over 6 months.

Asked on October 14, 2010 under General Practice, Iowa


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

Iowa's Lemon Law does not cover used vehicles. But you may be able to get help from other laws. The Federal Trade Commission (FTC) has what's called the Used Car Rule that requires dealers to provide consumers with a Buyer's Guide with warranty and other types of information. If the dealer has in any way failed to abide by the FTC Used Car Rule, you may have the basis for a legal claim. You say here that you have bought your car through a dealer.  Look in to this.

Also, each state has what are called Unfair and Deceptive Acts and Practices (UDAP) laws. If the dealer has, say, made verbal promises or didn't tell you about issues relating to your used car, you may have a cause of action. Also try asking an attorney about your state's Uniform Commercial Code which may provide you some relief. Finally, the Truth in Lending Act and the Federal Odometer Act might also be helpful.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption