If I divorce, will I be able to remain in my home and receive alimony?

UPDATED: Nov 18, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 18, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I divorce, will I be able to remain in my home and receive alimony?

I have been married for 38 years. My husband drank 30 of those years and quit 6 years ago. He is now drinking again. I can’t live through it any more. We own our own home and are building a workshop on the property right now. What grounds would I have for a divorce and how can I do this without any money of my own? I have worked and paid half the bills most of our marriage but I have no savings other than my 401k which I have only been contributing to for 4 years. I had worked in earlier years for the state and used my retirement from there to finish building our home which is 24 years old now.

Asked on November 18, 2011 under Family Law, Ohio


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your situation.  First I need to let you know that any money earned during the marriage from either party to the marriage is known as marital property.  It is not "his" or "hers" but rather "yours" together.  Also any property purchased during the marriage (or built in this case) belongs to the two of you as well.  So are any retirement money or plans - 401K, IRA's, etc., - considered marital property for distribution.  Now, you can file for divorce and request to the court to allow you sole temporary occupancy of the marital home.  But with out knowing more here - like are there any minor children, etc. - it is difficult to know if the court will let you stay in the home permanently unless you are awarded the home as an asset.  Alimony is a possibility in Ohio and there are several types.  The fact that you have been married for so long is a plus there.  Get some advice fro an attorney in your area.  Use the food money if you have to.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption