Do I have a discrimination case because my employer made disparaging remarks regarding my pregnancy?

UPDATED: Jun 16, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Do I have a discrimination case because my employer made disparaging remarks regarding my pregnancy?

I am expecting and the president called me a babymaker in front of my employee. I am very offended and upset but fear telling my boss for the consequences. My boss emailed me to let me know that president is very concerned about me returning to work. I do not miss work or bring my personal situations into the workplace. Before I was expecting, I received a merit raise and was asked to take on more responsibility. Now I am just a babymaker. I would love to quit. Can I move forward with discrimination case?

Asked on June 16, 2011 under Employment Labor Law, Maryland


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

From what you write, you very possibly have a sexual discrimination case, and may wish to either contact the department of labor or a private employment law attorney.

Note that while from what you write, it seems a good bet there was discrimination or harassment, and hence liability, it's less clear what damages--or economic injury--you have suffered. Since the amount of money you can recover in a lawsuit is related to the damages you've suffered, it's possible that a lawsuit might be uneconomical, at least unless you suffer some more tangible impact (demotion, suspension, transfer to a less desirable position, passed over for promotion, etc.). This is something to make sure you discuss with ana attorney--what the case may be worth.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption