Do I have anything legal I can do about my ex harassing me via text messages?

UPDATED: Jul 29, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 29, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Do I have anything legal I can do about my ex harassing me via text messages?

I have an ex that will not leave me alone; he sends a lot of text messages trying to fix what happened between us. There are times he will text me throughthe night and call repeatedly. I have never asked him to stop or go away. And he throws that in my face. I do sometimes respond to the text and I occasionally will have very short conversations with him. He has never threatened me but he has said some very terrible things to me via text and e-mail. I have never told him that I was uncomfortable with it or to go away but lately I haven’t been responding to his texts.

Asked on July 29, 2011 California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Everyone in this country has the fundamental right to be left alone. If your "ex" is harassing you through text messages, start saving them for future use. You send him a written letter advising him that his communication with you is not desired and that he needs to cease the contact immediately. Keep a copy of the letter.

If he continues to text you, consider seeking a restraining order agaibst him to be filed in the superior court of the county where you live.

Some courts have advisors who can assist someone like you in filling out the application for a restraining order. You then file it with the court, have it served upon him by a person over 18 years of age, and attend a hearing date where the judge makes a decision on your request. If granted, your "ex" will be ordered to not have contact with you. If he violates the court order, you can then have another hearing to be found in contempt of a court order.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption