Do I have any rights to stay in my current home while looking for a new home

UPDATED: May 21, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 21, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Do I have any rights to stay in my current home while looking for a new home

We pay a morgtage to my father-in-law . we signed an agreement for two years and paid every month.We are listed at the registry of deeds (my wife and I) as the owners. The contract expired last year and around the same time I lost my job. We have no current “argreement” at this point. We have been unable to oay for 6 months now but have recently offered as much as we can . He has given verbal notice that we must vacated the property with in four weeks . What recourse do we have , If any

Asked on May 21, 2009 under Real Estate Law, New Hampshire


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

Mortgage and foreclosure law isn't different because the lender is a relative.  I would strongly recommend that you take your deed, and everything else that is in writing including the expired agreement, to a real estate lawyer in your area.  The only sure way to get reliable advice is if it is based on all the unique facts of your case. One place to look for a qualified attorney is our website,

As a general rule, if it has to do with real estate, it has to be in writing.  That includes mortgages and even notices to vacate for mere renters -- and you have more rights than that.  There are some exceptions to the in-writing requirements, and those can differ some from one state to the next, but a verbal get-out-in-four-weeks isn't good enough here, I wouldn't think.  You will have to make payments on what you owe him, of course, or you will have to leave at some point, but there's a process that has to be followed.  Again, you need to have a lawyer review all the facts of your case, to get sound advice.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption