Do I have any rights to protect my family and I if we are in the process of buying a doublewide trailer?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Do I have any rights to protect my family and I if we are in the process of buying a doublewide trailer?

We have been here over a year paying the owner $500 a month. I’ve had to pull out of pocket every dollar to fix house because I can’t get financed for any work on the house without proper paperwork from her. I’ve given her a total $5,000 to date and spent over $8,000 to make house livable. I keep asking for it but the subject always changes to something like,

Asked on April 22, 2017 under Real Estate Law, South Carolina


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Why are you improving a house that you do *not* yet own? You are spending money on someone else's property, and if the sale doesn't go through for some reason, she will keep the improvements you put into the home. 
The above is a general answer. For your specific rights you have to check the terms of any agreements you have signed with her (e.g. contract of sale, a lease, a rent-to-own agreement, etc.). Those agreements will set out your specific rights. If you do not have copies of such agreements but believe that she is violating her obligation(s) under them from your recollection or understanding of their terms, you could file a "breach of contract" lawsuit against her. In such a lawsuit, there will be legal mechanisms, called "discovery" (e.g. document production requests; written interrogatories or questions) which you can use to get copies of the documents. If it turns you that she she is violating these agreements, you could get a court order requiring her to comply with them and/or giving you monetary compensation.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption