Do I have any rights to my ex-wife’s property that she failed to mention during the divorce?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Do I have any rights to my ex-wife’s property that she failed to mention during the divorce?

My ex-wife and I were granted a ‘self-divorce’ in Tennessee several years ago,
meaning it was obtained without the aid of a lawyer. My wife convinced me at the
time that we should not mention the several houses she owned as it would greatly
complicate the proceedings. In retrospect, I now regret that decision.

What effect, if any, does this situation have on the divorce itself? Do I have
any legal claim to the properties in question? Have I incurred any civil or
criminal liabilities by going along with my ex-wife’s false statements?

Asked on December 11, 2017 under Family Law, Tennessee


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Please seek legal help here. An attorney needs to address the paperwork and certian issues that can arise therein.  If your ex wife was required to file statements listing her property owned that were notarized and she lied, then there is a problem.  If you stated that you waived your rights to certain disclosure, there is a problem. The paperwork is key.  And yes, you could be precluded under equitable law as well from doing anything now. Good luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption