Do I have any rights if I feel that I was wrongly terminated?

UPDATED: Aug 10, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 10, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Do I have any rights if I feel that I was wrongly terminated?

I viewed video surveillance, checked all transactions in detail, called members whom I had waited on that day. Money in the vault and my cash drawer was audited by someone else as well. The accounting dept. has looked at this for 1 week and nothing has turned up. I was terminated for the cash outage that I have absolutely no idea what happened to. I was terminated b/c my cash drawer at the credit union where I worked came up $1000 short. I exhausted all outlets trying to locate outage but no luck.

Asked on August 10, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, North Carolina


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

I realize just how upsetting this all must be for you. Unfortunately, however, there may not be much that you can do leaglly. That is unless your employer's action violated exisiting company policy, a union/employment contract, or constituted some form of actionable discrimination. If not, then in an "at will" employment relationship an employer can hire and fire much as it sees fit. Additionally, it can do so for any reason or no reason at all and with or without notice.

Note: When it comes to filing for unemployment, without proof of your misappropriating company funds, you may be eligible for benefits.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption