do i have any rights?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

do i have any rights?

my mother passed sister is the power of attorney…she will not let me see the will,I’m not allowed in my mothers home. Her son changed the locks and my sister and her son are the only ones with keys.

Asked on April 2, 2017 under Estate Planning, Ohio


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

First of all, a POA's agency is revoked upon the death of the principal. Therefore, your sister no longer has legal standing under the POA document. That having been said, she may have been appointed your mother's executor in which case she would have a say over how the assets of the estate are handled. Among other things, while she could live in your mother's house with her son. However, she should be tryng to maximize estate assets so living there without paying rent may be a breach of her fiucuairy duty as executor. If she's not the executor, then she has no legal right to live or let anyone else live in the house. At this point you need to see a copy of the Will. If you were named as a beneficiary in the Will, you should be notified of this by the executor. Also, once it is entered into probate it becomes a matter of public record which means that you (or any one else for that matter), can obtain a copy from the probate court. Finally, even if it has not yet been filed, you can still get a copy since as your mother's child you are an "interested party" in her estate. That is you stand to inherit if she died "intestate" (i.e. without a Will). Consequently, you have a right to ask to see the Will in order to make sure that it in fact actually exists. That having been said, you could have also been disinherited but at least you will know for sure. At this point, you can consult directly with a local probate attorney who can best advise you further.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption