Do I have any recourse from lenders if my ex-husband forged my name on loans?

UPDATED: Mar 6, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Do I have any recourse from lenders if my ex-husband forged my name on loans?

Got divorced. Ex-husband got 2 houses, I got 1. After the divorce I found out there was a home equity line on the house that I had kept and he was continuing to take money out. Only way to keep him from continuing to withdraw money was to pay off the account. Paid off that loan with another home equity loan. When I received the papers I saw that he had forged my name on the home equity loan. There was also a second mortgage on 1 of the properties; he kept with my name on it. He was ordered by the judge to refinance in 30 days and did not. The mortgage company started coming after me when he stopped paying. I started paying trying to save what was left of my credit rating and asked for copies of the original papers. The company sent them to me and again my ex-husband (who was my husband at the time he forged my signature). Someone (not my ex’s writing) added a note, “Attorney in fact”. I didn’t realized that I had not signed either of these until I received copies from the bank. I was on the road a lot and sometimes deployed so I was used to signing things my ex put in front of me but I never gave him power of attorney. Ex-husband is now in a nursing home. Do I have any recourse against the first bank to get the money I paid them. Do I have any recourse against the second bank to be removed from that mortgage? Can I do this myself I am really struggling, haven’t paid last months gas bill yet and don’t know how I would pay for an attorney. Can you tell me how to do it?

Asked on March 6, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, New Jersey


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

1) If you do did not take out the loans or give your ex-husband the authority to take them out on your behalf, then you are not liable on the loans. Proving this may not be easy--the banks, for example, will have a vested interest in keeping you liable, so as to get paid--so you really should get an attorney to help you. You may be able to qualify for a free one (try legal services if you are low income) or get a recommendation from the bar association to one who will take this pro bono.

2) If the paperwork looked solid, then the banks might not be liable or responsible for the money you've already paid--banks can generally rely on paperwork and documents, if they appear to be on the up and up. If the documentation was bad and banks were negligent (or careless or irresponsible) in accepting it, that's a different story, and you should discuss this with your attorney.

3) You cann sue the ex-husband for any losses, money paid out, etc. you've incurred--he, after all, committed a crime against you. (You could also contact the police.)

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption