Do i have any options ?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Do i have any options ?

At 17, I was charged and convicted with assault with a deadly weapon firearm
along with a gang enhancement.
I was there when the crime was committed along with another person however I
didn’t shoot anybody. One of my co-defendants made a statement and said we
didn’t know what was going to happen and received 6 months but because I
refused to snitch the best plea deal my Public Defender could get me was 7
years in state prison and a strike.
At the age of 21, I was released and have had a rude awakening. I can’t begin a
career in many fields that interest me let alone get a decent job with that on
my record. I know expungement is out of the question because of the prison time
and the Certificate of Rehabilitation will take 7 years
My question is do I have any options of getting this reduced or stricken in any
way because there’s paperwork that says I didn’t know what would happen? I’m
looking for any possible option I have that could help.

Asked on January 11, 2019 under Criminal Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

No, it doesn't matter if you knew or did not know what would happen: you took the guilty plea. Taking the guilty plea makes your knowledge irrelevant, because in taking the plea, you accepted responsibilty for participating in the crime. You unfortuantely do not have any options other than what you have already mentioned.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption