Do I have any legal rights if my husband inherited half the marital home before we were married?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Do I have any legal rights if my husband inherited half the marital home before we were married?

We were married 10 years ago and now he wants a divorce. He inherited
half the marital home before we were married. He had to pay his sister
off for the other half and now there is a mortgage.He is the only one
on the mortgage.Do I have any rights?

Asked on October 24, 2017 under Family Law, Ohio


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

That is an issue that you will be fighting about so I would see an attorney in your area as to case law.  Inheritance is generally separate property.   However, if he bought out the other half with marital funds for the last ten years (money earned during marriage is marital) then hey, he may have "transmuted" the property in to quasi-marital.  Plus if you did anything to imporve the value then that too is a plus.  Seek help. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption