Do I have any legal recourse ifI signed a contract through a recruiter to accept a job but it hasn’t yet started?

UPDATED: Mar 7, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Do I have any legal recourse ifI signed a contract through a recruiter to accept a job but it hasn’t yet started?

Interviewed in 10/10. Offered position with a start date of 11/24. The client of the contractor that I was hired by decided to wait until after the holidays to begin the project. Myself and 5 others hired were put off until 01/11, at which point I had turned down another opportunity (which are few an far between in construction) to start with this company; it was supposedly a long term project with good pay and benefits. January came and went and then we had a new start date of o2/14 with orientations scheduled. We signed all new paperwork, and now we are told the permits are still not ready. Can I do anything?

Asked on March 7, 2011 under Employment Labor Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

You should speak with an employment attorney; you may be able to take legal action under 1 or both of  the following theories:

1) Promissory estoppel: if in reasonable reliance on another party's promise (the promise of a job), you took actions to your detriment (turning down other opportunities), if the other party knew or should have known you would take such actions, you may be able to sue them for damages.

2) You say paperwork was signed; if so, depending on what it says, it may constitute an employment agreement or contract to give you a job.

It would be worth the attorney consultation to see if you have a case, how strong it may be, and what it may be worth. Bring all correspondence and documents. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption