Do I have any legal recourse?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Do I have any legal recourse?

I’ve worked at my job for 12 years. I’ve got a physical every year. I have Hep C and my job has known about it for 10 years. After my physical this year they

said I’m laid off until I get my doctor to fill out a note saying stuff like I’m not a

threat to my clinets. And special precautions I should take durning work. I’m already missing 2 days of work because my doctors office is closed. I was just wondering if there is anything I could do legally about this? I’m feeling harassed because this is not the first time something like this has happened.

Asked on February 23, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Pennsylvania


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

The issue is whether Hep C does realistically pose some threat, even a small one, to clients or coworkers. (I don't know enough about the disease to comment.) If it does, then they may legitimately require this, even if the previously knew about the disease but did not require this prieviously: a lack of prior acton does not bar an employer from taking reasonable action now for the safety of clients or coworkers, and their obligation to accommodate those with medical conditions does not require them to expose other people to risk.
On the other hand, if there is no medical basis for concern, then this may be illegal discrimination or harassment and you may have a cause of action. If you believe this to be the case, either contact the federal EEOC or your state's equal/civil rights agency, or else speak with an employment law attorney about possibly filing a lawsuit.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption