Do I have any legal options?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Do I have any legal options?

I felt targeted at work by a specific supervisor, so I scheduled an appointment with the head of HR, who happens to be an owner, to discuss the issue. HR then reached out to said supervisor and informed him prior to our appointment and let him know the situation. This made me very uncomfortable as I still had to work with him. A few weeks later, I was called into his office and told that I will not be recieving a raise for my yearly review though my review scores warranted one and was told that I would be placed on a 90 day probationary period due to performance.

Asked on May 9, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Michigan


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Unless you have a written employment contract for a definite term (e.g. a one-year, two-year, etc. contract) which is being violated, you have no recourse: in the absence of a written employment contract, all employment is "employment at will" which means, among other things, that the employer can change or set employee wages/salary at will (including reneging on a promised raise) and can also discipline an employee at any time, for any reason (even unfair or factually unsupported ones), up to an including termination. Without a contract, you effectively have no enforceable rights in or to your job. (If you do have a contract and they are violating it, you can sue them for "breach of contract" for whatever you are entitled to under the contract.)

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption