What to do if my cell phone provider didn’t return my deposit as per my request?

UPDATED: Jul 25, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 25, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my cell phone provider didn’t return my deposit as per my request?

When I started my service with my cell phone provider I put down a $400 deposit. This week was my 1 year with the company. The last time I spoke with a customer service representative, I was told that I had options for getting my deposit refunded. One was a rebate card, another was to be sent a check, and the last was to have my bill paid with the balance. I requested to have a check sent to me. This week I got a check for $43 and the rest was added to my account which was not delinquent and was not due for a couple days. I feel like they took my money and paid themselves without my permission, and then sent me back what was left. My thing is that I gave them $400 and I wanted cash back, not for them to just spend my money how they saw fit. I’m really upset and feel like this is not right. I’m willing to take this to court if this is a worthy case.

Asked on July 25, 2011 Texas


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You could file a lawsuit for breach of contract against the cell phone provider for failure to return your deposit.  You could file your lawsuit in Small Claims Court.  Your damages (the amount of compensation you are seeking to recover in your lawsuit) would include the $400 plus court costs.  Court costs would include the court filing fee and process server fee.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption