Who get a deceased beneficiary’s inheritance?

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Who get a deceased beneficiary’s inheritance?

My grandmother died without a Will 1 year ago. Her 4 children were listed as beneficiaries on her home. They

couldnt agree to sell so house sat for a year. My mom lived in the house. My mother died 1 year after my

grandmother with no Will. Do the siblings get my mom’s share of the home or does my mom’s share go to her children?

Asked on October 31, 2019 under Estate Planning, Utah


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Because your mother post-deceased--that is, died after, your grandmother--she was entitled to her inheritance. Then when she passed away, it does to her own heirs or beneficiaries--presumably, her children. So it will go to you and your siblings, not your aunts and uncles.
Please accept our sympathy for your loss.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption