Do I have a shot at getting some of my money back regarding an evicted from my space at a vendor show?

UPDATED: Oct 25, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 25, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Do I have a shot at getting some of my money back regarding an evicted from my space at a vendor show?

I was invited to do a vendor show; I had a verbal agreement that I would be there. I did not receive an application and 5 weeks before the show I was replaced. When I did get the application, there was no deadline stated in which to return it as well as no deadline in any of the correspondence between myself and the party in which invited me. As I thought my spot was reserved I went ahead and purchased products, demos, samples and printed material to bring to the show in excess of $400. They now will not answer any attempt on my part to resolve this issue and I am stuck with this inventory (or at least if I return the parts I can will cost me a small fortune in shipping fees). Is there any legal standing I might have in a small claims court venue?

Asked on October 25, 2011 under Business Law, Illinois


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You *may* have grounds to sue for the recovery of your cost. If they represented to you that your spot was reserved--i.e. there was some objective basis for thinking it was reserved--and it was reasonable for you to rely on that representation; you spent money or took other actions to your detriment based on that reasonable reliance; and they knew, should have known, or reasonably could have predicted that you would spend money, etc., based on their representation; then that may be enough to find an enforceable obligation on them, and give your grounds to sue for its breach. For $400+, you should consider bringing a legal action, based on "detrimental reliance" or "promissory estoppel," in small claims court, where you can act as your own attorney. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption