Do I have a legal option for a dentistry that gave me a bait and switch?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Do I have a legal option for a dentistry that gave me a bait and switch?

I went to a dentist for a crown procedure. I agreed to pay my portion of $600 for the crown and my insurance was responsible for the rest. I went to the Dentist office on 2 occasions and they told me my portion was $600. A month later after the procedure they billed me for $321 because they

Asked on February 7, 2017 under Business Law, Georgia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

If your insurer turned down part of the bill, you are responsible for the amount they refused to pay (though may be able to take legal action, i.e. sue, if you believe they should have paid but improperly refused to do so--though suing an insurer for $321 is not likely worthwhile).
If the problem is not that the insurer declined part of the bill but that the dentist is trying to add a charge that they should  not--e.g. charging you more than they agreed to charge; double charging, in that they are trying to charge you separately for something already paid as part of the procedure (e.g. something "integral")--legally, they are not entitled to that money and you could refuse to pay. But even if they do not have  a good or valid case for the money, if they feel they are entitled to it, they may try to sue you for it, which would force you to respond, or turn it over to collections, and force you to deal with that. It may not be worth potentially getting involved in litigation over this amout; it may be best to pay.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption