Do I have a I wrongfully termination/sexual harassment case?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Do I have a I wrongfully termination/sexual harassment case?

My ex-boyfriend and I worked for the same company at the same job title for months. I broke up with him while we were both employed by the company. I performed and executed all of my job duties very well during this time. He has now taken over the franchise and his very first action as the new management was to fire me even though the previous franchise owner heavily suggested and pushed for him to keep me. My ex told other employees of his intention to do so and he has refused to accept my phone calls and knowingly has not scheduled me. He’s refusing to give me anything in writing stating that I’m no longer employed or to sign documention the state required to recieved assistance. Now, he has made contacting him practically impossible. He hasn’t replied to any of my emails and when I call him an automated message plays,

Asked on October 2, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Utah


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Unfortunately, this situation does not constitute a case for wrongful termination. In order to have grounds to bring such a suit, a worker must have been subjected to actionable discrimination. This means that they must have been demoted, suspended, terminated, etc. based on their race, religion, national origin, disability, age (over 40), gender, etc. So if you were retaliated against just for being a woman, then you would have recourse However here, in your case, being retaliated against solely to your due to your being an ex-girlfriend does not qualify. Therefore, unless you have potection against this action under the terms of a union agreement or employment contract, you have no claim here. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption