Do I have a defamation of character lawsuit?

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Do I have a defamation of character lawsuit?

I recently worked for a hotel company. I was terminated due to lack of knowledge

of our enrollment procedure. My manager told the director of the Hospitality

Management program that I am attending that I was fired for continuous theft,

which is false. This person in particular has resources for about 90 of jobs in

the hospitality industry and did not refer me to any upcoming jobs based on her

belief of this false statement. Do I have a case?

Asked on February 22, 2017 under Personal Injury, North Carolina


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Defamation is a false statement made with knowledge of its falsity communicated to a third person who recognizes the defamatory content and the statement is injurious to your reputation.
Slander is spoken defamation.  Libel is written defamation.
Each repetition of the defamatory statement is actionable in a lawsuit for defamation.
You can sue the manager for defamation.
Your damages (monetary compensation you are seeking in your lawsuit would include mental distress, loss of income, loss of friends and associates, and if applicable medical costs from physical illness).  Punitive damages (a substantial amount) to punish the intentional wrongful act are also available.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption