Do I have a case to sue for

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Do I have a case to sue for

I was sent home an hour early from work the
reason I was told was because we were slow but
later to find out that the manger lied to me and
he had wrote in a manger group chat room and also
in emails to the owners that he sent me home
because he said that I was high on crack and he
did not have any kind of proof that I was and
they did not send me for a drug test and his
accusation was false I was not high on crack and
I was called and text by other employees the next
day asking me what happened at work and why was I
sent home and when I said cause we were slow the
other employees told me that’s not what the
manger is saying

Asked on September 20, 2018 under Employment Labor Law, Illinois


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Yes, what you describe would be defamation. Defamation is the making of a false factual assertion or statement about you to other people, which damages your reputation. Saying that someone was "high on crack" is a factual assertion about them; being accused of using crack damages your reputation; it was made to other people; so if, as you say, it was a false statement, it would be defamation and you could sue over it.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption