Do I have a case to sue if someone defamed my reputation to prospective clients?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Do I have a case to sue if someone defamed my reputation to prospective clients?

I was employed by a small painting contractor for a month. He would constantly emotionally abuse me and my other co-workers. He fired me multiple times via text, towards the end started spreading lies about me to clients and co-workers. I had a verbal agreement with one client but after everything he told them, they didn’t want me near their home. I have more than 1000 texts from him, including screenshots, that he sent to clients lieing about me.

Asked on November 28, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Oregon


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You can sue your former employer for defamation.  Defamation is a false statement made with knowledge of its falsity communicated to a third party who recognizes the defamatory content and the statement is injurious to your reputation.
Each repetition of the defamatory statement is actionable in a lawsuit for defamation.
Libel is written defamation.
Slander is spoken defamation.
Your damages (monetary compensation you are seeking in your lawsuit) for defamation include emotional distress, loss of friends or associates, lost income from loss of the client you mentioned and if applicable physical illness.  You can also seek punitive damages which are a substantial amount to punish your former employer's intentional wrongful actions.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption