do I have a case against my manager if I was fired under false pretense?

UPDATED: May 14, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

do I have a case against my manager if I was fired under false pretense?

I was in the hospital for a few days and notified my manager. She fired me while I was in the hospital for job abandonment or no show no call. I was notified when I returned to work. can she do that? She knew where I was and lied to the corporate office about me not calling in. Also told them I was warned about this before and made up stories to get me fired. I never signed anything so it is just her word no proof. I also talked to my co-workers while I was in the hospital and they knew. Do I have a case?

Asked on May 14, 2009 under Employment Labor Law, Florida


J.V., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

Most employment is at will so you can be fired or quit for any reason as long as it is legal and not found to be discriminatory. From what you are saying it sounds as if you may have been treated unfairly. However I do not know how the conversation you had with upper management.

What it comes down to is why they decided to fire you was it based on one instance, many instances etc. Because I am unclear on the entire situation what you should do is contact a local attorney and see about getting a free consultation. You should locate your employment contract and bring that with you

Speak to them explain the entire situation and go from there. You may have a valid cause of action depending on certain factors which I cannot know based on what you wrote so see nan attorney than decide how to proceed.

good luck

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption