If I got fired yesterday, should have my employer paid me at that time?

UPDATED: May 3, 2019

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 3, 2019Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I got fired yesterday, should have my employer paid me at that time?

Also, on the payroll he had removed hours out of my time worked. Their is no proof because we use Homebase for clock-in and clock-out and he has absolute control of fixing the times for his


Asked on May 3, 2019 under Employment Labor Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Under California law, they had to pay you on the spot if they fired you. (If you had voluntarily quit or resigned, they'd have had 72 hours to pay.)
As for the hours: while you may not have documentary proof, you still have your testimony that they have shorted you hours in the system that they control. It's not impossible that the labor department or a court might believe you, if you are more credible than him and/or have other person's testimony (like the dishwasher you were helping) to back you up.
You may wish to contact the state department of labor to file a complaint for not receiving the final paycheck on time--each day it is delayed, you are entitled to another day's pay as a penalty (up to a maximum of 30 days' pay). At the time, file a claim for the unpaid hours--they may be harder to prove, but you lose nothing by making the claim. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption