Do I contact my car insurance?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Do I contact my car insurance?

My 6 year old son scratched a car
while riding his bike. The owner of the
car has contacted their insurance and
is now asking for my auto insurance
and wants to settle this out of small
claims court if possible. Do I need to
send them my auto insurance
information for a bicycle/car accident?
Will my insurance cover the cost of the
damage? I am located in Florida.

Asked on January 17, 2017 under Accident Law, Florida


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Your auto insurance won't cover this incident because your car was not involved in scratching the other party's car.  There is no need to provide the other party with your auto insurance information.
You can either settle the matter by paying for the damage or you can wait until the vehicle owner sues in small claims court and obtains a judgment against you.  If you settle the case, the other party should sign a release of all claims so that he/she won't try to relitigate the matter in the future.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption