Do equal inheriiters pay equal shares ,divided 50/50

UPDATED: Jul 5, 2017

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 5, 2017Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Do equal inheriiters pay equal shares ,divided 50/50

When equal inheriiters of an estate, do both parties share
equally in the expenses paid when one inherited paid for
instance, property taxes for a few years

Asked on July 5, 2017 under Real Estate Law, Ohio


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Unlike in family or matrimonial law (e.g.a divorce), where if one party contributed more than the other, that might entitle him/her to a larger share of an asset, when you inherit, the property is divided either exactly as per the terms of the will (if there is one) or as per the rules of intestate succession (if there is no will) with no regard to contributions or payment of expenses. Two equal beneficiaries or heirs would share equally in the estate, even if one paid insurance, taxes, etc. (unless there was a will which, by its plain terms, gave one of them credit for such payments).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption