If my ex-husband never refinanced the house after our divorce, what happens if he stops paying the mortgage company?

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my ex-husband never refinanced the house after our divorce, what happens if he stops paying the mortgage company?

I have been divorced for 6 years. My ex-husband kept the house and was supposed to take my name off the mortgage. However, since he is unemployed and has very little income the mortgage company will not refinance for him. Consequently my name is still on the mortgage.

Asked on October 16, 2015 under Family Law, Indiana


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

1 If the mortgage is not paid, the lender can foreclose on the home--i.e. the bank can take it.
2 Since you are on the mortgage, you are legally responsible for it you can be sued for the money owed and will face credit damage.
3 You in turn could sue your ex-husband for any losses or costs you suffered due to his failure to keep up payments and/or refinance, but
a if he in good faith tried and was denied refinancing due to, say, unemployment, he might not be liable, since in this event, it would not be his fault--the failure was due to factors beyond his control
b if he is liable but has little or no income or assets, then even if you sue him and win, you might not get much or anything from him a court judgment in your favor does not make money appear where there is none.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption