If we are selling due to divorce and have received a full price offer to buy our farmstead, can my husband refuse to sell?

UPDATED: Aug 29, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 29, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If we are selling due to divorce and have received a full price offer to buy our farmstead, can my husband refuse to sell?

He has been trying to find others to buy me out for 5 month, since he separated. Can he refuse this full price offer we received to buy the farm? Do I have any rights to force the sale? We are both on the deed as a married couple. We are in mediation for uncontested divorce but he is insisting on not leaving the farm. How long must I be waiting while he tries to find someone(s) to buy me out? He is divorcing me. Must I get a divorce attorney and take him to court? In  Hawaii County, HI.

Asked on August 29, 2011 Hawaii


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You will most likely need an attorney to get your portion of this sale. If he refuses to sell, you can sell your half to the other with the understanding that that new buyer will be owners with your spouse. It will most likely produce problems, a cloud on the title and your husband contesting the sale of your half. Talk to an attorney or file a motion in court to order the sale since you have a full price offer. Otherwise, whatever happens, if you can show this person was ready, willing and able to buy and you lose the buyer, you would be entitled to the profit you would have gained from that sale if a new sale or buyout results in less money for you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption