What can I do if I cannot afford a layer and need to divorce?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do if I cannot afford a layer and need to divorce?

I am married and have 2 children by my husband. I am looking for a divorce but don’t have the funds to pay a lawyer as I take care of them; they are ages 1 and 3. I need some advice and someone who can help me since I can’t pay a lawyer. My husband works full-time. We have been married 5 years and our falling out is not healthy for the children.

Asked on July 13, 2017 under Family Law, Florida


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You can file yourself but since children are involved this means that custody and support issues must also be addressed. Therefore, you can contact Legal Aid for help. If you don't qualify for representation by them, see if they can recommend someone to help you. Also, check to see if there is a law school nearby to where you live as they typically run free/low cost clinics that handle divorces. Further, you can contact the local bar association in your county/city as many have lists of attorneys who will take cases "pro bono" (for free) or at least for a reduced fee based on income/circumstances. Additionally, you can google women's support groups in your area since they often can provide a list of lawyers who can help. Finally, contact your state's Department of Social Services as they may be able to refer you to free legal services.   

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption