Divorce law in Louisiana

UPDATED: May 14, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 14, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Divorce law in Louisiana

What exactly does this mean and does it have to be in a basic divorce? “Plaintiff reserves the right to bring other actions for partition of community property and settlement of the claims of the spouses arising from the matrimonial regime and for other relief based on any cause of action or issue arising out of the marriage of the parties.”

Asked on May 14, 2009 under Family Law, Virginia


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

Yes, it is usually in a divorce decree to protect the party requesting it.  Why? Let's say you divide (partition) the property that is part of the marital estate and then your ex-spouse gets something that accrued during the marriage.  By including this provision, you have now included a provision allowing you to bring an action to divide that new item.  Or let's say someone sues one spouse for actions that occurred during the marriage.  The spouse can sue the ex spouse to collect his or her share of the judgment if found liable.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption