Divorce finalized can I ask for more than 30 days to remove property?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Divorce finalized can I ask for more than 30 days to remove property?

Just received finalized divorce papers I live in the home, it’s to be sold in 90 days I
have 30 days to remove my property. Can I ask for more time to move it all, and
nothing says I have to vacate, so do I assume I also have to move out in 30 days? I
have no where to go, so can I also ask for more time? I live in Maryland

Asked on June 28, 2016 under Family Law, Maryland


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You can do a couple of different things.  The first is to do what you can to get your things moved out.  Even if you don't completely move out, you need to get any special items to a safe place.  In the event that any items are forcibly removed, you want to make sure that the extra special items are safe.
Your second option is to file a motion for clarification.  Your clarification would seek to make it clear when and how you are to vacate the house.  The just may also grant you a bit more time.
Your third option is to work out an agreement with your ex.... reduce that agreement to writing, and then file it with the court.  This will give you some high cover in the event that he should go back on any agreements that you and he make.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption