Divorce-Do I have rights to the house?

UPDATED: May 21, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 21, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Divorce-Do I have rights to the house?

I am going through a divorce and my name is on the deed to the house, but not the loan. Am I entitled to ask for the house or a settlement from the house?

Asked on May 21, 2009 under Family Law, Missouri


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

I would be very surprised to find out that not having your name on the loan made any difference here.  If the house was bought during the marriage, with money earned during the marriage, it usually doesn't matter whether both names are on the deed or not, or the mortgage, both the house and the loan ordinarily have to be shared between the parties.

The fact that you have a house means there is more than enough money involved for you to get a lawyer, and very often a good attorney will let you end up in a better place at the end of it all even after paying the legal fees.  One place you can look for a family law attorney in your area is our website, http://attorneypages.com

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption