Divorce decree issue

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Divorce decree issue

My ex-husband, per our divorce decre, is required to hold the health insurance on both of my sons. One is biologically his the other is not but he’s been in his life since age 2. Now age 11. My ex is now getting remarried and the military is now saying they won’t hold insurance on our 11 year old because he is only a step child. Is my ex still required to hold the insurance on him even if it’s out of pocket because it is in our decree?

Asked on September 2, 2016 under Family Law, Texas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Your ex-husband is required to follow the decree... however he has to get it done.  If his employer will not cover the other child and the other order requires him to provide coverage, then he will have to seek coverage through another source.  If he was ordered to provide coverage and fails to do so, then he may have additional penalties under your decree or be subject to a motion to enforce.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption