How do I go about divorce by publication in one state if I live in another?

UPDATED: Aug 11, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 11, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I go about divorce by publication in one state if I live in another?

Divirce in TN; I live in TX?

Asked on August 11, 2011 Texas


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You need to review the requirements of your divorce proceedings in Texas. If you have moved, you need to make sure the court still has jurisdiction over the matter and if you can still file the divorce if you live in a state other than the one in which you wish to file. If you need to publish notice, and the court has already accepted jurisdiction, the statutory guidelines are usually clear cut in court brochures made available to the public about the proper methods to publish in order to provide notice to the defendant. Usually publication must be done for a certain number of consecutive weeks in a newspaper of general circulation and you must be able to provide the court with the certified proof of publication from the newspaper.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption