UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption


I am in the midst of divorce. I fled the home husband was on drugs and I felt unsafe and filed for divorce immediately and now we are 6 months into the process. I have been recently accepted for SSDI. This was a 1.5 year process for me while I was still in the marriage and then the divorce became eminent. I need alimony and SSDI to live and I will need to live very modestly at least for 3 years and hopefully I will be back on my feet. Can alimony be affected by SSDI? What can I expect to happen?

Asked on July 6, 2019 under Family Law, Pennsylvania


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

If the alimony had already been awarded, then you getting SSDI would not affect it unless in the order or settlement or decree granting it specifically said that it would be adjusted in the event of changes in your income.
However, if--as appears to be the case from your question--alimony has not been determined yet, the court can take your income, including from SSDI, into account in determining how much alimony you need or is appropriate. So in this case, will likely impact your award.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption