What can be done if a relative used undue influence to get control of my grandmother’s estate?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can be done if a relative used undue influence to get control of my grandmother’s estate?

My grandmother passed away about a year ago. Before she passed, she was heavily medicated and not in her right statue of mind. During this time, my aunt sold her $800,000 house behind our backs and pocketed the money. She also convinced my incapacitated grandmother to let her become the executor of her Will. Since her passing, no one but my aunt has seen the Will and she refuses to share it with the rest of the family while she clearly uses the estate for new cars and plastic surgery. I was wondering what, if any, legal recourse could be taken to ensure that the Will is being properly carried out?

Asked on December 20, 2016 under Estate Planning, Maryland


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Sorry to hear about your grandmother.
Undue influence on the part of your aunt would be a ground for contesting the Will. 
You can petition the probate court to have your aunt removed as executor and have another executor appointed. 
As for the assets your aunt has taken from your grandmother's estate, your aunt can be sued for conversion which is theft in a civil case.  The remedy would be a constructive trust which would require your aunt to return the items she has taken and the proceeds to your grandmother's estate.  A constructive trust can be used to trace the proceeds to any acquisitions by your aunt and those items or their value can be returned to the estate.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption